Here, I’ll share the original idea for my progress compared with the actual progress. After the demo, I presumed it would be a trilogy though at some points it looked like I might need to split it into four books – something that is no longer likely as of summer 2018.
Original plan and milestones:
- First ideas: 2002
- Serious thinking about it: Summer 2013
- Writing demo: 21.7.2015 – 10.9.2015
- Target for the first draft of book 1: 21.7.2017
- Target for beta of book 1: Late 2017
- Target for release of book 1: 21.7.2018
- Target for release of book 2: 21.7.2021
- Target for complete story done: 21.7.2025
This plan is pretty much invalidated as of 10/2017. The need for major revisions of some parts of the story means delays on the beginning. Completing it in 2025 is still doable, but the first book is unlikely to come before late 2018, more like early or mid 2019.
- Writing started: 16.10.2017
- First draft: 26.11.2017 (Time spent writing: 30hrs)
- Current status: second draft, development paused
- Current length: ~39k words
#0,5 is the former prologue of #1 happening ‘very long time’ (several generations) before the main story of #1 – #3. Initially, I thought to begin with that but changed my plans to release it later as an optional side-read, possibly between #1 and #2.
- Writing starts 7.10.2015
- First draft: 26.11.2016 (Time spent writing: 308 hrs)
- Alpha version: 24.5.2017 (Time spent writing: 440 hrs)
- Beta version: 13.8.2018 (Time spent writing: 572 hrs)
- Current status: first beta draft complete
- Current length: ~214k words (beta version)
- ETA: Late 2019 best case
The development of book one was made longer my my endless tries to get things right. Fourth, fifth and sixth drafts saw revision to a bunch of chapters, cutting things that I realized add little and adding some where I believed it might add depth.
- Story preparation since Q3/2016
- Early work began 5.2.2017
- Current progress: first draft (time spent writing: 192 hrs)
- Current status: writng paused
- Current length: 233k words
- ETA: 7/2021 still seems doable.
- Story preparation since Q1/2018
- Early work began 29.5.2018
- Current progress: ~30-40% of first draft
- Current status: writing paused
- Current length: ~80k words
- ETA: Hopefully 2023.
I have rough idea how and where I want the story to go for the third, final book, meaning that I should be able to write it when everything before it is done, limited by my time. I believe #3 should safely make it in the original 10-year timeframe.
I also have an idea for a prequel and a few short stories happening at various times between #0,5 and #1. There might be a few more ideas, but they are far too distant at this point – no way I’d get to them before 2025 at least.