Here, I’ll share the original idea for my progress compared with the actual progress. After the demo, I presumed it would be a trilogy though at some points it looked like I might need to split it into four books – something that is no longer likely as of summer 2018.
Original plan and milestones:
- First ideas: 2002
- Serious thinking about it: Summer 2013
- Writing demo: 21.7.2015 – 10.9.2015
- Target for the first draft of book 1: 21.7.2017
- Target for beta of book 1: Late 2017
- Target for release of book 1: 21.7.2018
- Target for release of book 2: 21.7.2021
- Target for complete story done: 21.7.2025
This plan is pretty much invalidated as of 10/2017. The need for major revisions of some parts of the story means delays on the first book. Actual goals including any shifts are below.
- Working title: Rise of the Eternal Defenders
- Writing started: 16.10.2017
- First draft: 26.11.2017 (Time spent writing: 30hrs)
- Current status: second draft, development paused
- Current length: ~39k words
- ETA: Yet unknown.
#0,5 is the former prologue of #1 happening ‘very long time’ (several generations) before the main story of #1 – #3. Initially, I thought to begin with that but changed my plans to release it later as an optional side-read, possibly between #1 and #2.
- Title: Eternal Defenders
- Writing started 7.10.2015
- First draft: 26.11.2016 (Time spent writing: 308 hrs)
- Alpha version: 24.5.2017 (Time spent writing: 440 hrs)
- First beta draft: 13.8.2018 (Time spent writing: 572 hrs)
- Current status: early beta stage
- Current length: ~184k words (version 0.6.2 / 23.11.2018)
- ETA: Presumed Autumn 2019
The development of book one was made longer by my endless tries to get things right. Fourth, fifth and sixth drafts saw major revisions to several chapters.
- Current title: Secrets of the Eternals
- Story preparation since Q3/2016
- Early work began 5.2.2017
- Current progress: first draft (time spent writing: 192 hrs)
- Current status: drafting paused after some early edits on the first draft
- Current length: 233k words
- ETA: Presumed between Autumn 2020 and Summer 2021
- Current title: Eternity’s end
- Story preparation since Q1/2018
- Early work began 29.5.2018
- Current progress: early first draft complete (12/2018)
- Current status: drafting paused after finishing the first draft
- Current length: ~180k words
- ETA: 2022-2023
I have rough idea how and where I want the story to go for the third, final book, meaning that I should be able to write it when everything before it is done, limited by my time. I believe #3 should safely make it in the original 10-year timeframe.
I also have an idea for a prequel and a few short stories happening at various times between #0,5 and #1. There might be a few more ideas, but they are far too distant at this point – no way I’d get to them before 2025 at least.