Here, I’ll share the original idea for my progress compared with the actual progress. After the demon, I presumed it would be a trilogy but at this point I am leaning towards split in four pieces.
Original plan and milestones:
- First ideas: 2002
- Serious thinking about it: Summer 2013
- Writing demo: 21.7.2015 – 10.9.2015
- Target first draft of book 1: 21.7.2017
- Target beta of book 1: Late 2017
- Target release of book 1: 21.8.2018
- Target release of book 2: 21.8.2021
- Target for complete story done: 21.7.2025
This plan is pretty much invalidated as of 10/2017. The need for major revisions of some parts of the story mean delays on the beginning. Completing it in 2025 is still doable, but first book is unlikely to come before late 2018, more like early 2019.
- Writing started: 16.10.2017
- First draft: 26.11.2017 (Time spent writing: 30hrs)
- Current status: second draft
- Current length: ~39k words
#0,5 is former prologue of #1 happening ‘very long time’ (several generations) before the main story of #1 – #3.
- Writing starts 7.10.2015
- First draft: 26.11.2016 (Time spent writing: 308 hrs)
- Alpha version: 24.5.2017 (Time spent writing: 440 hrs)
- Current status: fifth draft in progress
- Current length: ~239k words in fourth draft
- ETA: Late 2019 best case
- Story preparation since Q3/2016
- Early work began 5.2.2017
- Current progress: first draft (time spent writing: 192 hrs)
- Current length: 233k words
- ETA: 7/2021 still seems doable.
I have rough idea how and where I want the story to go for the third, final book, meaning that I should be able to write it when everything before it is done, limited by my time. I believe #3 should safely make it in the original 10-year timeframe.
I also have an idea for a prequel and a few short stories happening at various times between #0,5 and #1. There might be a few more ideas, but they are far too distant at this point – no way I’d get to them before 2025 at least.